What do you think of when you hear the word “worship”? For a lot of us I would bet we think of singing in church; we think of giving ten to twenty minutes once or twice a week singing words that may or may not mean something to us. Or perhaps we think of our tithes and offerings as worship. Both of these things are worship, but they are only the tip of the iceberg.
So then if we’re missing the point, let’s ask some questions.
- What is worship?
- Worship is the expression of adoration or reverence.
- Worship is something that God alone deserves (Exodus 20:2-6).
- John 4:23-24 says that “true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth. God is spirit, and His worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”(emphasis mine)
- 1 Samuel 15:22 says, “to obey is better than sacrifice.”
- Romans 12:1-2 says, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.” (emphasis mine)
- Isaiah 29:13 says that if we are only honoring God with our lips but not our hearts, we are not truly worshiping.
Essentially, worship is not something that we do once a week, it is something we are to do through our lifestyle. We are to worship in Spirit and in truth, two things that are forever inside us when we allow Jesus to take His rightful place as king of our lives. Offering our bodies as a living sacrifice is not something you do once, it’s continual dedication of ourselves to the Lord.
- Why do we worship?
- If you’ve ever been in a relationship with someone you really like you know what it’s like to desire to get to know someone. You want to know everything about them – what they like, what they dislike, what makes them tick, their middle name, everything! – and the more you know the more you want to know. Our relationship with God is similar: when we spend time with Him and get to know Him, it stirs up the desire to get to know Him more, and when we get to know Him, we can’t help but worship Him.
Worship is so much more than singing songs and giving money, it’s continually honoring God with our lives.
When we obey His command to love our neighbor, that’s worship.
When we choose to be like Jesus and pray for those who persecute us, that’s worship.
When we take the high road instead of stooping to the level of those who hurt us, that’s worship.
When we extend grace, that’s worship.
When we choose not to compromise our values, that’s worship.
When we stand and sing and pour out our hearts to the Creator, that’s worship.
When we use our gifts to further His kingdom, that’s worship.
When we die to ourselves and live solely for Him, that’s worship.
Our lives are meant to be continual acts of adoration and reverence of our Creator and King. Worship is not something you get away from life to do, worship is something you do amidst the messiness of life. Everyday is a blank slate. Everyday is a chance to choose God or self. What are we going to choose today?
Photo credit: unsplash-logoAnubhav Saxena